There is a super luxury ac bus which leaves Colombo at 7.30pm and arrives at Akkaraipattu (50km north of Arugam Bay) at 4.15am. From there it is possible to take a local bus to Pottuvil or a tuk tuk to Arugam Bay for around 2500LKR. The return bus leaves Akkaraipattu at 8.15pm and arrives in Colombo at 4.15am.
The bus can be reserved at busseat.lk (opens in a new window). The price of a ticket as of February 2019 was 1100LKR.
Although it has air-conditioning and adjustable seats do not expect to sleep well as it is normal to play music or movies at high volume throughout the journey, even at night! The bus has storage available for luggage and surfboards if required.
- Bandaranaike Airport to Colombo
- Colombo to Arugam Bay by Bus
- Colombo to Arugam Bay by Train and Bus via Ella or Badulla
- Colombo to Arugam Bay by Train and Bus via Batticaloa
- Colombo to Arugam Bay by Luxury Bus via Akkaraipattu
- South Coast to Arugam Bay by Bus
- Independent Taxi Share
- Request Taxi Quote
Searching for a Hotel? Read the Ultimate Guide to Arugam Bay Accommodation 2019