There is no easy way of getting to Arugam Bay. From the capital Colombo it is 220km as the crow flies but 350km by the quickest road. This will take anywhere from 6 to 16 hours depending on the time of day and the number of stops.
Update June 2018
For the latest info on taxis and prices see the Latest News post Colombo to Arugam Bay by Taxi 2018.
By far the best way is to take your time and make a couple of overnight stops on the way. However, if you really need to travel here in a day there are multiple options available.
(1) Bandaranaike Airport to Colombo
There is an ac bus which leaves from outside the airport, turn left and cross the drop off lane and walk 100m to a fenced parking area. [read more…]
(2) Colombo to Arugam Bay by Bus
As of May 2017 there are 2 luxury night buses with ac and 3-4 regular non-ac buses operating between Colombo and Pottuvil. [read more…]
(3) Colombo to Arugam Bay by Train and Bus via Ella or Badulla
This route is the longest of all but probably the most rewarding due to the spectacular views of the Sri Lankan hill country. [read more…]
(4) Colombo to Arugam Bay by Train and Bus via Batticaloa
The advantages of this service over the hill train are a faster overall journey time and normally a less crowded experience with less tourists. [read more…]
(5) Colombo to Arugam Bay by Luxury Bus via Akkaraipattu
There is a super luxury ac bus which leaves Colombo at 8pm and arrives at Akkaraipattu (50km north of Arugam Bay) at 5.30am. From there it is possible to take a local bus to [read more…]
Join the Community on Facebook!!
(6) South Coast to Arugam Bay by Bus
There is a direct bus from Matara to Kalmunai which stops in Pottuvil leaving daily at 11:50am. This should give you time to take an early bus from any south coast [read more…]
(7) Independent Taxi Share
The one way price for a good quality ac minivan with English speaking driver should be $125-$135 depending on whether it is high or low season. [read more…]
There are two options to find a taxi; request a quote on this site and support the local Arugam Bay taxi operators or go to our other site srilankacaranddriverhire.com and request a quote from a wider range of drivers.
- Bandaranaike Airport to Colombo
- Colombo to Arugam Bay by Bus
- Colombo to Arugam Bay by Train and Bus via Ella or Badulla
- Colombo to Arugam Bay by Train and Bus via Batticaloa
- Colombo to Arugam Bay by Luxury Bus via Akkaraipattu
- South Coast to Arugam Bay by Bus
- Independent Taxi Share
- Request Taxi Quote
Searching for a Hotel? Read the Ultimate Guide to Arugam Bay Accommodation 2018